[Zope-dev] Javascript variables Form element values and zope

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Fri Oct 3 17:25:59 EDT 2003

This list is for development of Zope. You want the zope users list at
zope at zope.org.

>I have this little form and I would like to know how to persuade dtml or
>python to access the javascript variables in the set_p function and the
>element values in the form "LOG".

This is impossible as you put it. You realize that Javascript is totally
client side, and that to Zope it is nothing more than extra bytes to
shove out to your browser, right? Javascript can only manipulate the DOM
within a browser, and Zope can only manipulate the contents of the page
before it is sent to the browser.

>I'll be thankful for any assistance.

><script language="JAVASCRIPT">
>function set_p(a,b)
>{
>//
>// call a zsql script mylookup which returns a single value
>//
>  document.p.value=<dtml-call expr="mylookup(a,b)">
>//
>//alternatively
>//document.p.value=<dtml-call
>expr="mylookup(document.LOG.m.value,document.LOG.n.value)">
>//
>}
></script>
></head><body>
><form name="LOG">

However, Zope can see the values of request parameters (from the form)
once the form is submitted. If you, say, give the form an action of
'someZopeObject' then the form will be submitted to that object and you
will be able to access the values of m, n, and p as they were just
before the form was sent.

             --jcc

--
"My point and period will be throughly wrought,
Or well or ill, as this day's battle's fought."