[Zope-dev] Re: catalogObject changes (Zope-2_6-branch)

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leo at hiper.com.br
Tue Oct 7 11:18:07 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 10:52, Casey Duncan wrote:
> This is broken in 2.6.2 and I would consider it a bug in that release. I would
> support an improved api such as:
>
> catalog_object(obj, idxs=[], metadata=1)
>
> The way it is currently breaks at least one of my applications as well
> (ironically, this was an application the Chris was also working on).
>
> I am happy to make the change if we agree it is the right thing.

+1

Changing the behaviour of existing APIs in a backward incompatible way
is a Bad Thing (TM). IMHO, The only acceptable exception is if the API
had different behaviour from the documentation to begin with (i.e. the
API was broken).

And I suggest rushing up a 2.6.3 (even if just a beta or rc) to
discourage people from migrating to 2.6.2.

Cheers, Leo

--
Ideas don't stay in some minds very long because they don't like
solitary confinement.