[Zope-dev] relations in objects

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Fri Oct 10 14:13:32 EDT 2003

Jason Corbett wrote at 2003-10-9 20:46 -0700:
 > How does an object in zope know where it sits in the
 > hirearchy, and how does it reach other objects.

In fact, the object does not know it.

In Zope, you usually do not deal with the object itself
but with an acquisition wrapper. This wrapper represents
the object and the way you accessed it. The wrapper
is able to tell you a direct path from the root to
the object (the so called "physicalPath" of the "object").

However, the same object can be at different places
in the Zope hierarchy. Depending on access path, the object
than can have different "physicalPath"s.

 > That's what I'm really looking for, I can probably
 > code the rest of the parts.

You should look at "mxmRelations" as someone else already
told you.

Dieter