[Zope-dev] Making Zope accept international characters in Id's

Lennart Regebro lennart at regebro.nu
Mon Oct 20 10:01:24 EDT 2003

Hiya everyone!

I didn't get any response on my last post, so I'm charging ahead full speed.

The fact that litmus complains about Zope's inability to accept UTF-8
filenames is something I view as a bug. It can be fixed simply by
changing the default _checkid() implementation to allow extended
characters. However, I don't want to break anything, so I think it
should be optional, controlled by a setting.

Either the already existing, but seemingly undocumented setting
management_page_charset could be used to check that the given Id is
acceptable in that charset.

OR, a separate setting could be used, maybe allowed_id_charset?

I'm gonna go with that last one if nobody complains. Suggested code
(only the important parts):

# Any other characters that should NEVER be
allowed?bad_id=re.compile(r'[:;/\\]').search

def checkValidId(self, id, allow_dup=0):
     # So should be allow unicode, then?
     if not id or not isinstance(id, StringType):
         if isinstance(id, UnicodeType): id = escape(id)
         raise BadRequestException, ('Empty or invalid id specified', id)

     # Here is the characterset checking. This works fine, I've tried it.
     try:
         charset = getattr(self, 'allowed_id_charset', 'ascii')
         id.decode(charset)
     except:
         raise BadRequestException, (
             'The id "%s" is not of the allowed character set (%s).' % \
             (escape(id), self.allowed_id_charset))
     # And here we check for unallowed special characters.
     if bad_id(id) is not None:
         raise BadRequestException, (
             'The id "%s" contains characters illegal in URLs.' % \
             escape(id))
     # And then comes the rest of the tests, as usual, for aq_ and such.
     # I won't copy them in in this mail.

Opinions?