[Zope-dev] Cache growing during single REQUEST

Chris Withers chrisw at nipltd.com
Fri Sep 5 15:21:29 EDT 2003

Toby Dickenson wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 September 2003 12:15, Chris Withers wrote:
>
>>If the object load would cause the cache to go above it's maximum number,
>
> *Number* isnt the the right parameter to control here..... We need to limit
> the total amount of RAM. Objects are of variable size, and the largest ZODB
> objects are very much bigger than the average.

This is true, but isn't this much harder to do as we run into the same issue
that people have trying to produce folderish objects for Zope that limit the
size of their contained objects?

Hmmm, maybe not... could we make a note of the pickles size when the data is
loaded and update that size when it's comitted? Is this the same as the
in-memory size?

>>then boot an object out of the cache in order to make room for the new one.
>
> That would have a bad effect on ReadConflictErrors.

Don't follow, can you explain?

> Cache purging should only
> happen on transaction boundaries for storages where ReadConflictErrors are
> possible.

Can you put some brackets in that statement, I don't follow it..

> I havent seen a mention of ulimit or autolance earlier in this thread.... They
> are mostly adequate protection against the work problems.

Do they kill the thread or the whole Zope? I'm also keen for users to nto get
MemoryErrors, but to just have their request take much longer ( cache thrashing
and the like...)

cheers,

Chris