[Zope-dev] Re: PythonLibraries Product

Evan Simpson evan at 4-am.com
Wed Sep 10 13:44:26 EDT 2003

Seb Bacon wrote:
> So AFAICT it's a convenience which allows you (a) to keep related
> functions together; and (b) to store local variables in a convenient
> place.  It definitely sounds useful but also a lot of work for something
> it's possible to manage without quite easily at the moment..?
>
> Could you provide a brief summary of why this is better than a folder of
> python scripts?  Perhaps a use case which illustrates the problems of
> the current way of doing things?

It isn't *better* than a Folder of Scripts, it's *different* :-) I have
two weak use-cases, a longstanding "I'm going to write that some day"
itch, and some aesthetic arguments.

One of the more frequently stated complaints about ZPTs is that to
properly remove non-presentation logic and ugly little Python
expressions from a template, you either need a pile of little Scripts,
or a single "controller" Script that precalculates everything and passes
it to the template.  I've settled, fairly happily, on the second solution.

Both of these solutions suffer from the "two or more objects to
accomplish one task" management problem.  I usually combine the objects
in a dedicated Folder, which is still a bit awkward, and doesn't solve
everything.  One drawback is that the individual components are all
published, despite the fact that I only intend one of them to be
web-addressable.  It would be very handy to attach the Scripts directly
to the template, but the straightforward way of doing that means making
the template a container, and opens a whole can of worms.  Instead, what
if templates had a Library tab, and it worked with External Editor?  It
would actually be easier to *just* write this, and not have independent
Library objects, but generalizing this capability feels right to me.

 From an aesthetic viewpoint, a Library looks and works more like
regular Python than a Script.  Even though a Library is not a "*.py"
file, it uses a subset of that syntax, so dedicated editor modes will
like it better.  Multi-line triple-quoted strings will not get extra
spaces added to them.  The "##" header hack won't be necessary, so line
numbers in External Editor will match error message line numbers.

On the other hand, Libraries don't support 'traverse_subpath', require
an extra path step to address, and don't allow permission and proxy
settings at individual function granularity.

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am