[Zope-dev] AW: Caching prob with AHCM and headers

Bjorn Stabell bjorn at exoweb.net
Thu Sep 11 10:59:22 EDT 2003

Carsten wrote:
> Well, sadly I didn't find the time to pursue the issue any
> further yet. We're kneedeep in work to get the system up and
> running and caching isn't top priority so far. I don't even
> know if someone patched the AHCM yet, simply haven't looked.
>
> But as someone suggested somewhere and you can see in
> http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2003-April/135101.html it
> works if you set the headers yourself. So if you need caching
> _now_ and AHCM is not fixed yet, change the object used so
> that it sets the headers correctly itself.
>
> I know that this solution is ikky but I don't know when I
> will have time to tackle the issue of a comfortable cache
> system. Though I know I will have to solve it sometime :)

I know, I was just trying to figure out how this was supposed to work.
Currently setting Last-Modified seems to be the only way to get
something cached in Apache; Expires alone is no good, and adding an Etag
header doesn't seem to have any effect either.  Maybe this should be
classified as an Apache problem?  Shouldn't Apache cache pages that have
Expires?

Setting Last-Modified to the current time isn't always the right thing;
some objects, .e.g., Files, Images, Documents, have last modification
times, and using those would be better.  Not sure if the accelerator can
be smart enough to know about these, though.

Bye,
--
Bjorn