[Zope-dev] Re: Proposal: Sanitize HelpSys & API Reference, was Re: Reasons for the current API reference docs implementation?

Casey Duncan casey at zope.com
Mon Apr 5 09:44:30 EDT 2004

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 17:50:13 -0400
Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:

> I've posted my proposal:
> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/SanitizeHelpSysAndAPIReference

I am 100% for this proposal and I have been thinking on and off about
the same thing for years. I agree that we need to create interfaces
everywhere. With that I propose the following to prevent future help
skew:

- That all interfaces in the system be verified in unittests.

- We eliminate the duplicate interfaces currently used by the help
system (Some of these are actually fairly up-to-date, so we should look
at them first).

- If we create examples that they be runnable doctests, which are
executed by test.py

The latter may mean we need a better integration test framework, I don't
know. I think we'd need to try out a few and see. I can certainly help
here.

IMO this is a task ripe for a "divide and conquer" strategy. Maybe we
should have a "Help Day" to kick this off?

-Casey