[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: Zope and zope

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Apr 14 02:46:14 EDT 2004

Note that the reason I suggested renaming Zope to "zope2" (or whatever) as
opposed to "zope" to "zope3" is because Zope 3 uses absolute imports almost
everywhere; it would be far less work to change "Zope" to "Zope2" because
Zope 2 either uses relative imports or assumes it can find what it needs on
sys.path.  I think the breakage, although literally "incalculable" (as is
every change to Zope 2, given that it has no canonical API), would be
manageable given enough lead time.  In fact, if we did change the module
name, we could just leave a "bruce" package in place that, when imported,
raised a "ObsoleteError" with a descriptive message.

I *hate* the idea of having two packages named "zope" where case is the only
thing different.  It's would be insanely difficult (not to mention
embarrassing) to document, should the two codebases merge in some unholy
fashion at some point as is on the 2.9 roadmap.

- C