[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Zope and zope

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Apr 14 09:00:26 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Zope 2 has a package named "Zope". Zope 3 has a package named "zope".
> Starting with Zope 2.8, parts of Zope 3 will be included in Zope 2.
> As things stand, this will require having both "Zope" and "zope" packages.
> Python can handle this fine, however, it will require putting the packages
> in separate directories (for Windows).  A typical Zope installation will
> probably add at least two directories to the Python path, for:
>
> - The Zope software
>
> - Instance (site) specific packages
>
> So adding two directories, rather than one for the Zope software isn't
> a big deal.
>
> Of course, having two packages with names differing only in case is a
> bit ugly.
>
> Do we want to consider renaming one or both of these packages
> to avoid the conflict?

I should have been clearer.

The first question is:

Is it a problem to have two packages with names differing only in case?

I haven't gotten as many responses on this as I expected.  I'll try to summarize
so far:

- Chris feels strongly that this is a problem

- I've been swayed by Chris' response from neutral to thinking that this
   is a problem.

- Tres seems not to think this is a problem, but I'm not sure.

- Fred doesn't seem to think this is a problem.

- I can't tell from Robert's and Stephans responses whether they think this
   is a problem or not.

Perhaps we can get more input on whether there's a problem.

A response with a positive sign (e.g. +1, +0, +2, ...) indicates
agreement that this is a probelm. :)

Jim