[Zope-dev] zLOG is dead

Fred Drake fred at zope.com
Wed Apr 14 18:53:00 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 10:45 am, Andreas Jung wrote:
 > For consitency: Zope.Products.XXXX
 > For lazy writers: Zope. XXXXX
 >
 > I prefer the second solution...everyone should know what are products and
 > what
 > are packages. In fact the name does not matter because you can see in the
 > traceback
 > where the error occurs. You don't get this information from the name
 > directly.

I disagree.  Not everyone that looks at the logs will be a site developer or
Zope product or core developer.  Keeping things explicit is reasonable.

 > Keep the product name as it is...means Products/XXXX should use
 > Zope.XXXX as logger name. No need to introduce a new mapping. Keep it
 > simple.

Keeping it simple is good, but I'd still like to see every logging subsystem
in code that ships with the Zope 2 core start with "Zope."  This is a
potential backwards compatibility issue, though, since log-trawling tools are
already using the names currently generated, as inconsistent as they are.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation