[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-dev] Re: More arguments for "z" (was Re: Zope and zope)

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Apr 15 13:22:28 EDT 2004

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Thursday 15 April 2004 11:39, Casey Duncan wrote:
>
>>Additionally (and Jim and I have discussed this amongst ourselves) I
>>feel strongly that the dependancies should be enforced by tests. That
>>is, if you introduce and errant dependancy (by adding an import to a new
>>package not in the stdlib or DEPENDANCIES.cfg) that it break a
>>dependancy test.
>

> I think this can be easily done using the finddeps.py utility. I think the
> hard work of finding all the dependencies in the first place is done. Note
> that Zope can also have dependencies in its ZCML files (which is handled by
> finddeps.py).

Note that for checking dependencies in Python code I still think this
tool could be improved by using technology from importchecker.py

http://cvs.zope.org/Zope3/utilities/importchecker.py

which can use Python's compiler module to lift all imports from source
code, which I think is safer than the hand crafted parser approach
finddeps.py takes now.

If somebody lets me know which API they want implemented for retrieving
imports (and use of imports) I could do this lifting work myself.

Regards,

Martijn