Zope + Ape + Subversion (was: RE: [Zope-dev] Using a truely r evis ion based storage for Zope ?)

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Mon Apr 19 13:33:13 EDT 2004

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Kapil Thangavelu wrote:

> part of the reason i never used ape as a means for svn integration was
> was that this imo, mix of high level application operations with zodb
> storage level operations never seemed a proper fit as it required
> bypassing the storage interface for richer semantic operations. ie i see
> reverting a revision, tagging a content tree, or diffing mulitiple
> revisions as application operations. still, there have been the some
> compelling ideas here about using zodb/ape as an interface.

FWIW, Ape is also designed to be useful as an import/export mechanism.
In theory, if you set up a mapper configuration for a set of classes,
you've gained both a database bridge and a clean format for importing and
exporting objects.  I imagine that would benefit many kinds of
applications.  In practice, I haven't tried it yet. :-)

> should we move this discussion to an ape specific mailing list?

I'm happy with zope-dev and zodb-dev, but if there's a good reason to make
a new list, that's fine.

Shane