[Zope-dev] Zope Book at ZopeWiki.org

Stephan Richter stephan.richter at tufts.edu
Thu Apr 22 06:07:10 EDT 2004

On Thursday 22 April 2004 03:31, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> Today 03:31:57
>
> From: "Chris Withers" <chris at simplistix.co.uk>
>
> > Any chance ZopeWiki.org could become the master location for the book?
>
> It's gonna be hard to get a printable book out of a Wiki...

I tried this and I can tell you that a Wiki is not the right format for a
book. While it lowers the entrance points, it is far too simplistic. I
eventually changed my master to LaTeX, where I can add as much meta-data and
other markup (especially for an index, which is crucial) easily and then I
try to create Wiki-friendly STX files from that.

When people change things in the Wiki, I use the diffs to update the masters.
This turned out to be a very good move, since sometimes the corrections
change the meaning of what I intended to say.

Additionally, I can now always create a beautiful PDF in less than a minute.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter