[Zope-dev] Re: The bleak Future of Zope?

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Thu Apr 22 12:20:30 EDT 2004

[Max M]
> Well, yeah. I installed cygwin and all the devolpment tools. About 800
> Megs. I could have sorted it, but I wouldn't risk missing libraries,
> tools etc. and harddisk is cheap.

Same here (although my old laptop doesn't have enough disk space remaining
to download the whole thing).

> Python compiled fine, both with and without "./configure
> --with-threads" Z3 also compiled without a hickup.

Python 2.3.3 comes with current Cygwin, so there shouldn't be a need to
build Python (or maybe there is?  I don't know; the one that comes with
Cygwin has threads enabled already:

$ python
Python 2.3.3 (#1, Dec 30 2003, 08:29:25)
[GCC 3.3.1 (cygming special)] on cygwin
>>> import thread
>>> def f():
...    print 'hi!'
>>> thread.start_new_thread(f, ())
10852896
>>> hi!

).

I didn't have any problems compiling anything, I hit instant disasters
whenever code tried to spawn a new process ("mystery errors" under WinXP
Pro, segfault and system freeze under Win98SE).

> But when I tried to go to "http://localhost:8080" or
> "http://localhost:8080/manage" I just got a  "A system error
> occurred." message, and a the following log entry:
>
> 2004-04-22T08:47:13 ERROR root PageTemplateFile: Error in template:
> Compilation failed
> exceptions.SyntaxError: invalid syntax (<string>, line 1)
>
> Which is sort of non-helpfull.

Sorry, no clues here.  Perhaps someone else knows how to get Cygwin to work.

>> What exactly is needed?  I routinely compile Zope2 and Zope3 HEAD on
>> Windows, using MSVC 6.  I can't make time to set up a fancy snapshot
>> procedure, but if all people want is (e.g.) a zip file containing
>> the .pyd files, uploading those once a week wouldn't be a
>> significant time sink.

> AS far as I can see that should be enough. If the compiled files, in
> their directory structure, could just be dropped on top of the python
> structure from cvs/subversion I expect that would be enough?

No way to tell without trying.  I don't know whether you're building Zope2
or Zope3, but since this is the zope-dev list I assume the former.  Try

    http://zope.org/Members/tim_one/Zope2-20040422.zip/file_view

and let us know what happens!  As the comment there says, it's just ".pyd
files from Zope2 HEAD, compiled with MSVC 6".  This is from an inplace
("setup.py build_ext -i") build on Windows, from a current Zope HEAD
checkout.

> As far as I can see from a quick manual scan of the directory
> structure that's how the code is structured now?
>
> The compiled files are not under version control, and so would not be
> overwritten by updating from cvs/subversion.

That's correct.