[Zope-dev] Roundtrip-safe DAV

Emiliano Heyns emiliano.heyns at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 14:43:34 EST 2004

Hello people,

I'm currently working with some content editors that would like to
keep their current WYSIWYG tools and use them in combination with
Zope/Plone, and using the DAV interface seemed like the best approach,
and it does indeed mostly work. One of the larger problems we face
using this approach is that quite a few products expose objects via
DAV that are not roundtrip-safe; getting-then-putting will result in
unwanted behaviour in some cases, and for other objects I don't see
much value in allowing them to be accessed over DAV (like the contents
of acl_users).

I wrote the attached monkey patch to address this (be kind, I'm pretty
new to Python), and Sidnei da Silva (author of DavPack) suggested I
post the patch on these lists to see if there was an interest into
this approach.

What it does is disable DAV access for non-collection resources in
general and then selectively turns it on for some (non-exhaustive)
list. Folderish objects are enabled by default but can be turned off.
Objects/classes can also disable or enable themselves by explicitly
setting __dav_resource__ to 0 or 1. I'm not suggesting this particular
list is the correct one.

Thoughts?

With kind regard,
Emiliano Heyns