[Zope-dev] Why third_party/docutils?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Dec 20 13:20:53 EST 2004

Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On Montag, 20. Dezember 2004 11:08 Uhr -0500 Tim Peters
> <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [Jim Fulton]

>> [Andreas Jung]

>> [Jim]
>>
>>> What is it lacking?
>>

>> I suppose it's the 'docs', 'extras', 'licenses' and 'tools'
>> subdirectories, although I see that the 'tools' subdirectory checked
>> in on Zope-2_7-branch was stripped of its GPL'ed pieces first.
>>
>> Andreas, does Zope 2 *use* any of the stuff in the non-docutils
>> subdirectories?
>>
>> Jim, while I personally don't care much, Zope3's repackaging of
>> docutils doesn't meet license requirements to retain the original
>> licenses in derivative works.  Zope2's does, because it includes
>> docutil's whole 'licenses' subdirectory (except for the GPL).
>

> I think we should stop the discussion at this point

Well, we do need to decide how to handle the license files.
I suggest we create a licenses dir in the doctest package.
(In Zope 3, I include ICU's license file with the icu data files.

 > and follow  Tres
> suggestion:
>
> - import Docutils somewhere into the CVS/SVN
>
> - link the docutils/docutils subfolder to lib/python in the CVS
>
> - move roman.py into parsers/rest as Jim did for Zope 3
>
> I have no idea how we should with this issue in the SVN.  Maybe
> svn:externals will do the job either  to the Docutils version within
> Z3 or a shared Docutils shared somewhere within the SVN.

I prefer to use svn cp.

For now, just svn cp the docutils directory from the zope 3 tree.

Later (or now, if you want to bother), we should create a vendor-import
area in the repository and create a vendor import for docutils. Then copy
from there.

Jim