[Zope-dev] Minor windows intaller bug and a question

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Thu Feb 5 11:37:46 EST 2004

[Chris McDonough, on the C:\Zope-Instance default]
>> You can change the instance dir manually, no?  You mean it's a bug
>> that it doesn't detect your system drive and instead always uses C
>> as the default, right?  If so, yes, I agree, but likely it won't get
>> fixed too soon as it's so minor.

The "right" drive letter is the value of InnoSetup's {sd} (system drive)
constant, but I don't know how to feed that into the Pascal code that sets
this up.

[Lennart Regebro]
> I find the default value strange. The old installer put it into the
> program files directory, which seem to me to be the reasonable place.
> Opinions on this?

PITA.  If you want to adhere to Windows standards, programs belong under
Program Files, but a Zope instance is more data so "really belongs" in some
confusing place like $WINDOWS_DIRECTORY\Application Data\Zope
Corporation\Zope-Instance\ (under an English version of Windows), or even
under a user-specific variant of that.

That makes it maximally difficult for you to find your data, and the
embedded spaces in the path make it maximally difficult for you to use
command-line tools too (e.g., maybe you want to do an fsdump on your
Data.fs).  I'd much rather have this stuff where it's easy to find, and easy
to use from a DOS box.  The installer *lets* you put it anywhere; the
default should favor ease of understanding and use.