[Zope-dev] Adapters in Zope 2

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leo at hiper.com.br
Tue Feb 10 09:24:53 EST 2004

Hi Santi.

The Zope2 official way of extending objects at runtime is acquisition.

The easiest way to make use of it is to put the methods/scripts you need
in the acquisition path (e.g. closer to the root). There are more
sofisticated methods, such as SkinnedFolders  and "TransparentFolders"
that allow you to shape acquisition to avoid cluttering parent folders
with methods and/or a more precise control of the selection of objects
to be aquired.

All of the methods of shapping acquisition rely on creative
interpretation/manipulation of the __of__() method of acquisition-aware
objects.

Acquisition is very powerful, and very "magic" at the same time.
Adapters is Zope3 way of implementing "Acquisition" in a less
"surprising" way.

--
Ideas don't stay in some minds very long because they don't like
solitary confinement.