[Zope-dev] How to make Zope fail nicely under high load?

Jamie Heilman jamie at audible.transient.net
Wed Feb 11 05:26:29 EST 2004

Toby Dickenson wrote:

> Zope's ZServer manages a queue of requests that have been recieved over http,
> but not dispatched to the publisher. This is handled in
> PubCore/ZRendezvous.py. I suspect this queue will be holding your backlog.
>
> You might get some benefit from capping the length of that queue.

Thats right!  Yeah, true, it probably is holding the backlog as the
default concurrency (on unix) is pretty high, but capping that queue
...  I dunno, what do you with the new requests once its full?  You're
back to the problem of identifying sessions, and thats a potential
mess.

> Before creating a session, check the size of the ZRendezvous backlog. might
> work.

Yeah, thats a good plan in terms of where to instrument it, if you had
to.  If it were me, I'd sooner throw more hardware at it than use
session identifiers though.

--
Jamie Heilman                     http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/