[Zope-dev] 2.7 management_page_charset cannot be callable anymore

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Jan 14 12:25:36 EST 2004

Hi there,

Some changes in Zope 2.7 break the possibility to make management_page_charset
a callable (for instance a method).

This breaks Formulator, as it uses this facility. This works just fine
in Zope 2.6, but breaks in Zope 2.7.

The silly thing is that Formulator 2.6.0 breaks in Zope 2.7 exactly because
it actually is the release that tries to do unicode *right* (while still
retaining backwards compatibility with older installations and offering
a non-unicode mode), and then Zope 2.7 makes it impossible.

I heard a report that a similar problem may be occuring with ZWiki..

The problem is in lib/python/App/dtml/manage_page_header.dtml:

<dtml-unless management_page_charset>
<dtml-call "REQUEST.set('management_page_charset','iso-8859-1')">
</dtml-unless>
<dtml-call "RESPONSE.setHeader('content-type','text/html;charset='+management_page_charset)">

If I remember my DTML well, &dtml-management_page_charset; should still call
the method if it's a callable, so that would be all right.

The next line however breaks, as it's going to treat my method as an attribute.

I think backwards compatibility got broken unintentionally here.. Could
this be restored? Using a ComputedAttribute for this would be rather
involved and it's possible other products are broken as well as a
result.

Regards,

Martijn