[Zope-dev] Re: any limits on object number?

Dorneles Treméa dorneles at x3ng.com.br
Mon Jul 19 04:40:32 EDT 2004

Hi Nagarjuna,

> Thanks a lot.  Your report that performance enhances due to hashing is
> encouraging the decision we took. In our case we already began using
> BTreeFolder2, havent tried creating the large object base yet (will do
> this week), but we doing something like what you did.  we are creating
> alphabetized subfolders, by taking the first char of each id.  Are there
> any good popular hashing algorithms?  If we have such a algo then
> further subfoldering could be made automatic after a certain number of
> objects increase in each folder.  This way large scalable databases can
> be created in Zope.

well, a hash is a... hash! :-) You can use any deterministic function
to populate your buckets... Just choose one who fits your needs.

The current code that I'm using is available[1], just keep in mind
that it was written after 2 badly slept nights... ;-)

[1]http://cvs.x3ng.com.br/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Recria/utils.py?rev=HEAD&view=auto

Regards,

--

Dorneles Treméa