[Zope-dev] Making a ZSQL.DA fully multi-threaded?

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun Jul 25 17:22:18 EDT 2004

sathya wrote at 2004-7-23 18:00 -0500:
>I dont see a data loss problem either (unless there are hardware failures)
>
>If a connection is dropped due to inactivity it  should not affect any
>transactions going to occur in the future as a reconnect is issued
>before submitted new transactions.

However, connections can be lost for other reasons than inactivity...

>However connections getting dropped due to transport layer problems is a
>different matter.
>if a connection gets dropped by either side after making the request
>then it should be detected at either end and the transaction aborted
>(assuming
>a well behaved transport layer).

The problem occurs when the DA silently reopens the connection
without telling the appliciation that the connection was lost
(and thereby the transaction aborted by the database).

>I beleive Whether or NOT the transaction is resubmitted should be  a
>decision on part of the application and not the DA or Zpublisher.

However, this means that the DA must report the lost connection
via some kind of exception and must not silently reconnect.

--
Dieter