[ZODB-Dev] Re: BTrees strangeness (was [Zope-dev] Zope 2.X BIG Session problems - blocker - our site dies - need help of experience Zope developer, please)

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Mar 3 23:06:56 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 22:53, John Belmonte wrote:
> If I'm following this thread correctly, isn't the code failing because
> the BTree is corrupted (that is, BTrees.check.check chokes)?  If that's
> the case then you're certainly right to avoid masking the problem.

We don't know that it's corrupted for sure yet because the problem has
not yet made itself repeatable in isolation, and has only appeared in
one production setup (Alex's).  Hopefully Alex will instrument his code
to do the check when it chokes and we'll know more then.  I've also
asked him to change out the storage that's being used to hold this data
to a FileStorage.  I have some fear about the current storage code that
he is using to store this data (TemporaryStorage), as it is not
typically tested via unit tests for simultaneous access and does some
hairy inplace garbage collection that other storages don't do.

- C