[Zope-dev] Re: test.py

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Thu Mar 11 04:15:15 EST 2004

Hi!

Tres Seaver wrote:
> yuppie wrote:
>> Some grep results from Zope HEAD:
>>
>> setup.py:                     #! /usr/bin/env python
>> test.py:                      #! /usr/bin/env python2.2
>> utilities\check_catalog.py:   #!/usr/bin/env python2.1
>> utilities\requestprofiler.py: #!/usr/bin/env python
>> utilities\compilezpy.py:      #!/usr/bin/env python
>> utilities\zpasswd.py:         #!/usr/bin/env python
>> utilities\testrunner.py:      #! /usr/bin/env python2.2
>> utilities\ZODBTools\space.py: #! /usr/bin/env python
>>
>> And many tests, some of them still with python1.5, e.g.
>>
>> lib\python\TAL\tests\run.py:  #! /usr/bin/env python1.5
>>
>> Could we have a policy for this? I guess '#! /usr/bin/env python' is
>> easier to keep up to date ...
>

> -1.  We should specify the required minimum version everywhere.

I'm fine with that.

> The
> 'env' hack is evil because it pretends to be flexible, while still
> leaving you vulnerable to strangeness.

Is there a better alternative than the 'env hack'?

(I had to google to find out what you mean by 'env hack' and found
<http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/1406>, but nothing
about better solutions.)

> BTW, the space after the '!'
> should go, too;  it is not guaranteed to be honored by all shells.

Good to know.

So you propose to replace *all* the #! lines by

#!/usr/bin/env python2.3

Right?

Cheers,
	Yuppie