[Zope-dev] PageTemplateFile vs. Bindings vs. Security

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Mar 25 12:57:07 EST 2004

Jamie Heilman wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>>Shane Hathaway wrote:
>>
>>>There certainly ought to be a way to create an unrestricted
>>>PageTemplateFile, though it should be an explicit step.
>>
>>That is a good suggestion. I'd like that option. It would also be a
>>potential performance benefit.
>>
>>On the other hand, in situations where the PageTemplate designers are
>>*not* security conscious (they're designers, not primarily programmers)
>>the option of explicit checks is useful.
>
> PageTemplateFile is a class used by Product authors, just like
> DTMLFile.  If you can write a product, you are either security
> conscious or your product is worthless.

I don't always write products by myself. I work in a larger team which
may include some people who are very good at making beautiful HTML and
can get a page template to work, but aren't Python developers and can't
be expected to be experts on Zope security. In such situations it can be
a good idea that security checks against the underlying API take place,
though of course other forms of collarboration are possible where this
need does not exist.

Regards,

Martijn