[Zope-dev] Proposal: cvs to subversion transition May 11 (?)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed May 5 01:59:15 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Sorry for the false start.
>
> I totally missed a flaw in subversion's handling of text-file line endings.
> I suspect that this is fixable, but it's not going to be fixed today.

I think that this issue has been "resolved".  I have updated my cvs to svn
conversion software to set the svn:eol-style property to "native" on text
files so that they will get Windows line endings when checked out on Windows
and Unix line endings when checked out on Unix-based systems.
I've updated the demonstration repository with the results of this conversion.
Note that it's possible that existing checkouts will need to be discarded, as I've
totallly rebuilt the repository.

To browse the respository:

   http://svn.zope.org/

To do a read-only checkout:

   svn co svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/<project>/trunk

or, to do a writable checkout:

   svn co svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/<project>/trunk

Developers who add new files will need to set the svn:eol-style
property on new text files. There are ways to automate this and we'll
provide some guidence on this at:

   http://dev.zope.org/Subversion

BTW, someone has done some work on that Wiki, which was a copy of dev.zope.orf/CVS,
to convert the CVS references and instructions to refer to and document Subversion
instead. Thanks! I think that there is still a good bit of work to do.  Volunteer help
would be much appreciated.

I'm thinking of trying again to do the cvs to svn conversion of the main-line
development branches (cvs heads) on Tusday May 11. This would entail moving
ZODB, Zope 2, and Zope 3 head development to subversion (along with ZConfig,
zdaemon, and zLOG).

Any objections?

Jim