[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Change in repository approach to software sharing

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu May 6 08:07:21 EDT 2004

Chris Withers wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:

>> Now, when we set up the Zope 3 repository, we will create the ZConfig
>> package in Zope 3 by copying a *tag* from the ZConfig project:
>>
>>   svn copy svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/ZConfig/tags/T1/src/ZConfig \
>>            svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/Zope3/trunk/src/ZConfig
>>            -m 'Bring ZConfig T1 into main branch'
>

> I think you'll find this doesn't work when
> svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/Zope3/trunk/src/ZConfig already exists.

That's not relevent to the example, as, in the example, we are
creating it for the first time.

>> Later, we may decide to upgrade the Zope 3 head to use ZConfig tag 3.
>> At that point, we can recopy from the tag,

Do do so, we may have to remove the old copy first.

 >> or we can merge changes
>> made between the two tags.
>

> My experience has been that it's best just to have shared software
> "exist" in each location where it's used and maintained in those places
> with new versions being brought across via merges.

That's what I'm suggesting.

 > Merges in SVN have
> ended up feeling a LOT nicer for me that with CVS, but the key is still
> to keep the number of maintained locations of a piece of shared software
> to an absolute minimum, as Tim points out.

There should be only one place that shared software is maintained.
Periodically, we'll need to resync copies.

> Another option, and one which I'd really strongly suggest here if it
> could be made to work is the "external definitions" stuff:
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/ch07s03.html

That's close to what we have now, with repolinks. It's cleaner that repolinks,
but it has the same basic flaw, the shared software is *truly* shared:

- Users of the software have no control over when they get changes to it

- A use of the software can make what they might think is a local
   change, check it in, and break other users.

Jim