[Zope-dev] Conflict errors on BDBMinimal storage

Dr. Thomas Wagner theseus at ze.tum.de
Tue May 18 02:40:05 EDT 2004

Hi Chris, hi folks.

thanks for the hint with minimal storage. however the same problem
occurs with filestorage and is even worse.

we know very well, that we cannot avoid the appearance of conflict
errors in particular with zeo, and we understand what causes them.

what wonders us is, that we find some contributions about this errors in
the mailing lists, but no one seems to have a real problem with it. but
we have! we are not worried about some errors appearing in a log, but we
are using plone2 witch currently 30 concurrent authenticated users, so
that this error occurs permanently, thus decreasing system performance
due to several retries and moreover leading to very frequent nasty
'POS.Exception Errors' in the browser, whenever four successive tries
fail (almost every 100. request).

this is not acceptable, and i  wonder wheter there are any plone sites
with more than a handful of authenticated users that experience the same
problem.  we found that one (there are more) product responsible for it
is the placeless translation service, which heavily writes to the session.

so we desperately need a solution for this problem, maybe uncouple the
session of the locking mechanism or whatever, and this should be a
problem that should be addressed by the core team. because this is a
strong reason (and so far the only one) to avoid using zope/plone in a
large user environment.

i hope some of the community sees the importance of this.

Regards
Thomas