[Zope-dev] Re: RFC: TALES adapters and TAL/Tales variable namespaces

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri May 21 09:07:24 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> I've posted two proposals:
>
>   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/TALESPathExpressionAdapters
>
> Proposes a mechanism for easily using adapters in TALES expressions.
>
>   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ZPTVariableNamespaces
>
> proposes a mechanism for qualifying names defined in TAL and used in
> TALES expressions.

Based on initial comments, I've retracted ZPTVariableNamespaces and
updated:

   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/TALESPathExpressionAdapters

I've thrown out a few more spellings for adapter use:

   ob->adaptername      context->dc/title

   ob~adaptername       context~dc/title

   ob[adaptername]      context[dc]/title

Of course, Steve suggested:

   ob:adaptername       context:dc/title

So far the cast syntax seems to be the most popular:

   (adaptername)ob      (dc)context/title

with one dissension. :)

One disadvantage I see with the cast notation is that it's
a bit jarring in:

   a/b/(adapter)c/d

as the adapter is applied to a/b/c. The order just doesn't
seem quite right.

I'd love to get more feedback or suggestions for the syntax.

As far as in-template definition, I'd like to borrow from Evan's
work and allow 'adapter' to be used like 'local' or 'global' in
tal:define:

   tal:define="adapter dc modules/zope.app.dublincore/IZopeDublinCore"

Thoughts?

Jim

P.S. Thanks for all the comments so far. :)