[Zope-dev] RE: [Python 2.3.4c1] nasty LinuxThread problem not solved

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Fri May 21 10:16:12 EDT 2004

[Dieter Maurer]
> I just checked that Python 2.3.4c1 does not yet fix our
> LinuxThread-Crash problem -- the problem that
> lets a multi-threaded application enter a curious state
> when one on the threads crashes.

I'm sorry to report that 2.3.4 final won't fix it either.  The active Python
bug report is here:

    [ 756924 ] SIGSEGV causes hung threads (Linux)
    http://www.python.org/sf/756924

> And this despite the patch for this problem in Python's collector...

There's a patch that squashes the specific symptom you have in mind, but at
the cost of other breakage -- the original patch was added for a reason too.
Read the bug report.  It's complicated, and too complicated to slam in any
change here for 2.3.4 (according to Python's release manager, and according
to Guido).

> Unfortunately, I am no "python-dev" subscriber.
> Can you check please whether this patch has a chance to
> become part of the official Python 2.3.4.

Doesn't look like it.

> If not, we would be forced to maintain our own Python version
> as Python's current crashing behaviour with LinuxThreads
> is unacceptable.

Please add your concerns to the bug report.  There are still open issues in
coming up with a correct patch, but if those are resolved and "enough"
people care, it should be enough to justify a 2.3.5 release.