[Zope-dev] [Caching] Inefficient HTML cache?

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sat Nov 20 04:08:25 EST 2004

We use Apache for caching and observe the following behaviour:

  Apache requests the object from Zope and caches it until
  the expiration date is reached. From then on, Apache
  forwards "If-Modified-Since" requests to Zope, Zope
  responds with an "304" response but without a new
  expiration date! As Apache does not get new expiration info,
  it continues to forward "If-Modified-Since" requests for
  the object. This significantly reduces cache efficiency.

In my view, Zope should include new expiration info in its

The CachingManager API may need to be extended, to allow
the HTTP CacheManager to add information to "304" responses.

--
Dieter