[Zope-dev] ZPT Optimization Opportunity

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Sat Sep 25 22:08:06 EDT 2004

After seeing Chris McDonough's excellent paper at the Plone conference
on optimizing content delivery using the new IStreamIterator iterface, I
began experimenting with implementing such an optimization in
ZopePageTemplates.

I played around with having 'ZopePageTemplate._exec' request that it
receive an iterator, instead of the usual big string.  I hoped that such
a change might enable greater concurrency and memory footprint, by
avoiding creation of the big string at all;  instead,  medusa to push
out the "chunk stream" represented by the StringIO buflist, while the
appserver would be free to handle a new request without needing to
malloc / copy the data.

Here are the timings I have seen so far, using 'zopectl debug', with the
following template: