[Zope-dev] post publishing hook

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Apr 4 10:39:22 EDT 2005

Florent Guillaume wrote:
> I really could use a post publishing hook.
> Standard use case: delay indexing at the end of the request to only do
> it once per object even if the object has been modified 4 times.
>
> Today there's the REQUEST._hold() hack with an instance having a
> __del__, but this gets executed outside the main transaction, and
> REQUEST is already dying.
>
> I'd like a post-publishing hook that's called in the initial REQUEST and
> transaction.

I haven't been folowing this thread, so I asked Gary what it was about. :)

Based on that, I'd like to suggest:

There are two possibilities:

1. A post publishing hook.  I think this would be appropriate
    in the case where you really want to augment the publishing
    process.  For example, I hpe someday to use something like
    this to provide another way (other than metal) to provide
    standard look and feel.

    Unfortunately, I think there are a lot of open issues, at least
    in my mind, about how something like this should work.

2. A pre-commit hook.  I think your use case fits this much better.
    We've thought about this for some time. In fact, I've talked about
    it enough that I thought we already had this, but we don't.

    I think this is the way to go for your use case.

    I'll post a proposal on the zodb-dev list.

Jim