[Zope-dev] RFC: Use Zope 3's protection system in Zope 2

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Aug 1 08:41:28 EDT 2005

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> At:
>>
>>   http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/Zope3ProtectionInZope2
>>
>> Is a proposal to use Zope 3's protection system in Zope 2.
>>
>> I think that the proposed change would provide very significan't
>> benefits, although it also presents some risks.
>>
>> I'm looking for volunteers to help make this happen,
>> peferably this fall.
>

> Cool! Zope 3's security system is definitely quite powerful.
>
> However...
>
> You mean you're hoping this could be in Zope 2.9? Probably not
> surprisingly, you want put in me in the 'skeptics' camp here. :)

That's your job. I respect that.

 > We
> already have a job on our hands making Zope 2.9's Five work with Zope
> 3.2, and actually releasing Zope 3.2 (I'll note that Zope 3.1 is still
> not released as a final). I would strongly urge that this work is done
> on a branch so we can ship Zope 2.9 without it if necessary.

Of course.

> I'm definitely worried about backwards compatibility -- how would the
> effect be handled that any filesystem-level Python code in Zope 2 is
> considered trusted, for instance? Would security wrappers be removed
> whenever code is passed along to this level?

No.  I noted this as a risk in the proposal.  I think we should
strive to make this optional -- for 2 releases.

> Would this also mean a port of the default Zope 3 security policy?

No. I'm only talking about the protection system in this proposal.

> guess that isn't possible as the security information is stored quite
> differently.

Someday, I'd like to make the entire arhitecture available.  Then the
existing Zope 2 security policy would be one of several that could be
pluggin in.

 > Would this mean we would write a new Zope 2 policy, but
> based on the Zope 3 security policy mechanism, or are we only porting
> the security-wrapper bits for now?

I'm only talking about the protection system.

> Is any scheme possible where we could introduce this selectively and in
> parallel to the existing mechanisms?

Yes, as mentioned in the discussion of risks in the proposal.

> Like, for instance, a knob on a
> folderish object that could be turned on so it starts wrapping
> everything thereafter?

This would be a system-wide option, controlled via zope.conf or
zcml.

> I understand that one huge benefit of this change is that we can stop
> maintaining Zope 2's security infrastructure, but a huge benefit of
> doing this in parallel would be that we have some time to really shake
> out bugs without destabilizing everything else.

Yes.

Jim