[Zope-dev] Re: last minute Zope 2.8.1 changes

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Aug 2 14:09:57 EDT 2005

yuppie wrote:
> If there are no objections, I'd like to merge two changes into the
> Zope-2_8-branch before 2.8.1 is released:
>
> 1.) Backports from zope.tal to TAL and a small modification of ustr:
>
> http://svn.zope.org/?rev=37613&view=rev
> http://svn.zope.org/?rev=37614&view=rev
>
> This is a fix needed by Five to handle massageIDs correctly. I don't
> expect any backwards compatibility issues.

+1

> 2.) Backport of Interfaces.bridge from the Zope trunk:
>
> http://svn.zope.org/?rev=33270&view=rev
>
> This is a new utility function for z2 -> z3 interface migration. It
> doesn't change any existing code, so there should be no risk. I guess it
> would be useful for many products, at least CMF trunk could benefit from
> that bridging code.

+1

Normally I would be hesitant about adding new features to a minor
release; this case is different, though:

- the bridge code seems to be completely isolated from anything else, so
there's zero risk to jeopardize any existing code.

- it will encourage people to write more Zope 3 style interfaces from
the beginning. Currently Five's Zope 2 -> Zope 3 bridging code
encourages people to write more Zope 2 interfaces, often only to bridge
them to Zope 3 ones. That clearly isn't the optimal way: Zope 3
interfaces are not only future-proof and more powerful but Zope 2
interfaces are also rarely needed at all (there are a couple of uses,
e.g. in some catalog indexes, which is why we do need Zope 3 -> Zope 2
bridging).

Philipp