[Zope-dev] RFC: _verifyObjectPaste cleanup

yuppie y.2005- at wcm-solutions.de
Fri Dec 2 10:50:34 EST 2005

Hi!

Basically I'd like to remove the workaround introduced to fix
http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/78 :

http://svn.zope.org/Zope/trunk/lib/python/OFS/CopySupport.py?view=diff&r1=24022&r2=24021

checkPermission now respects proxy roles, so this workaround is no
longer needed.

Replacing the workaround by a checkPermission call will make the
'permission' key in all_meta_types required, the 'action' key becomes
optional.

The old code did have a fallback for meta_types without 'permission'
key. This is the comment for the fallback:

   #   XXX: Ancient cruft, left here in true co-dependent fashion
   #        to keep from breaking old products which don't put
   #        permissions on their metadata registry entries.

Is it save to make the 'permission' key required? Or do we need the
fallback for 'ancient cruft'? There might be new products that don't set
the 'permission' key because it wasn't enforced until now.

I propose to

- leave Zope 2.7 untouched

- use checkPermission in Zope 2.8 and add the fallback with deprecation
warning

- make the 'permission' key required in Zope 2.9 and later

Any comments?

Cheers,

	Yuppie