[Zope-dev] Logging of ConflictError

Florent Guillaume fg at nuxeo.com
Fri Dec 2 16:59:52 EST 2005

On 2 Dec 2005, at 20:50, Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Florent Guillaume wrote at 2005-12-2 13:33 +0100:
>> Please no. Don't put anything at INFO. A conflict error is either
>> something normal that should be at level BLATHER or below, or an
>> ERROR that a sysadmin wants to see logged as such.
>
> I strongly disagree with you:
>
>   "ConflictError"s are essential hints that your system might
>   come into trouble (they can turn into real error).
>
>   These hints are at least as important as e.g.
>
> 2005-12-02T07:17:59 INFO ZODB.Mount Opening database for mounting:
> '144160968_1010482273.050062'
> ------
> 2005-12-02T07:17:59 INFO ZODB.Mount Mounted database
> '144160968_1010482273.050062' at /temp_folder
>
>   Looks like "INFO" is a better level than "BLATHER"...

If you look at the way their purpose is explained in zLOG, you'll see
that level INFO is reserved for things like server startup and
shutdown. Or, as shown above, initial mounting of databases. Anything
recurring that can happen many times in the life of the server but
does not pose any problems should *not* be visible at INFO.

On the other hand, that's exactly what BLATHER is for folks! Use it!
Note that it's another reason for not using the default python
loggers who have a stupidly small number of levels.

If you want to audit your server status to see if there are changes
real errors will happen, INFO is *not* the level to use.

Anyway, there's sufficient disagreement here, I'll send another mail
to ask for people's votes.

Florent

+33 1 40 33 71 59   http://nuxeo.com   fg at nuxeo.com