[Zope-dev] Re: AcceleratedHTTPCache and virtual hosting (collector 1447)

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Dec 5 17:43:12 EST 2005

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 11:29:48AM -0500, Tres Seaver wrote:
> Paul Winkler wrote:
(snip)
> > ... AcceleratedHTTPCacheManager has no test
> > suite at all.

Erm. Actually it does; Tres added it on the TRUNK many months ago.
I was looking at a 2.7 checkout! Mea culpa.

However, the test suite currently *does* fire up an HTTP server (on a
hardwired port, 1888). As I said, I'm not crazy about this, it seems
needlessly fragile and makes the test code harder to read than I'd like.

So I'm inclined to follow Tres' adapter suggestion, it seems like The
Right Thing to me. I'll modify the existing suite accordingly on a
branch.

To the other respondents: Thanks for the suggestions, but I do not
consider making AcceleratedHTTPCacheManager more flexible to be a "test
turd". Tres outlined a real use case for changing the code (see below).
I don't understand why you guys consider this more invasive than
monkeypatching, which is capable of causing obscure breakage in
far-flung tests.  But thanks anyway.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com