[Zope-dev] Re: ConflictError's worthwhile to note?

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at ita.chalmers.se
Tue Dec 6 04:59:25 EST 2005

Dieter Maurer wrote:

>Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote at 2005-12-4 22:28 +0100:

>>In the log flle I'd like to be informed about events that are
>>unexpected. Conflict errors of this kind occur "by design".
>>

>This argument is not convincing:
>
>  In a similar way, I could argue that "MemoryError"s are there
>  by design.
>
>  While it is true that *occational* "ConflictError"s are nothing
>  to worry about, a higher rate indicates that you soon
>  may come into trouble -- because the risk increases that
>  the automatic retries will not be able to recover and
>  your users will see errors.
>
>Obviously, a "ConflictError" is far less important than
>a "MemoryError", but a higher rate of conflicts should be analysed
>and if possible avoided.
>
>The conflict rate is related to the quality of your application design.
>I like quality related information in my logfiles -- to be able
>to take action before it is too late.

But aren't you looking for some sort of application profiler? or some
sort of benchmarker? One could argue that slowly rendered pages are sign
that the application is badly designed too, still you wouldn't want to
see in the log file:

INFO: the request took more than 2 seconds to be fullfilled (this has
occured 10 times already)

Similarly if the number of cache objects is too low, the application
will run slowly, do you want to see:

INFO: 1000 objects loaded into the cache in the last 5 minutes

So why not instead create a product that logs occasional conflict
errors? there is already in the ZMI in the database management screen
some information about cached objects- Why not add the information that
you are looking for there instead?

/JM