[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] RFC: Locale-specific Text Collation

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Mon Dec 12 08:18:08 EST 2005

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 09.12.2005, 08:58 -0500 schrieb Jim Fulton:
> When presenting users with ordered text (e.g. sorted lists of options),
> simply sorting Unicode strings doesn't provide an ordering that
> users in a given locale will find useful.  Various languages have
> text sorting conventions that don't agree with the ordering of
> Unicode code points. (This is even true for English.  Generally,
> users prefer to see text sorted without regard to case.)
>
> A proposal to address this problem is here:
>
>    http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/LocaleSpecificTextCollation
>
> Comments are welcome.

I wondered whether the method "key" will always be computable, but
discussing that with zagy I found out that doing __cmp__ requires one to
be able to normalize the string for a different comparison anyway, so
they key method would be the one doing that.

Eventually you might want to mention that the key() method would be
useful to implement as basis for __cmp__ anyway as it does the
normalization work, so __cmp__ should in any case be possible to derive
from key() ...

So, from me as well: +1

Christian

--
gocept gmbh & co. kg - schalaunische str. 6 - 06366 koethen - germany
www.gocept.com - ct at gocept.com - phone +49 3496 30 99 112 -