[Zope-dev] optimised python

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Sun Dec 18 06:14:17 EST 2005

On 18 Dec 2005, at 06:46, Alan Milligan wrote:
> I'm reconsidering the way we RPM package byte-code compiled python,
> and
> although I suspect optimised python is a bit of an anacronysm, I
> thought
> I'd check with the list ;)
>
> If one was to start Zope with python -O, then it would look for (and
> generate) .pyo files instead of .pyc's in all the Products right?
>
> Would there be any performance gain by this change?  How much?
>
> Is it worth me doing byte-compiles with -O and starting Zope's
> interpreter in this mode?

There is no anachronism at all. Building Python by hand will also
build .pyo files alonside .pyc files. There is a speed increase
running Zope with .pyos, but if I remember correctly you have to hack
one of the startup files to correctly pass all python flags given
upon startup. I don't know anyone who has done specific testing to
quantify the speed increase, though.

There is a drawback: Debugging becomes a lot harder and sometimes
impossible because you get no or faulty line number information in
tracebacks and when using pdb.

jens