[Zope-dev] [RfC] Removal of old stuff in Zope 2.10

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Tue Dec 20 12:27:41 EST 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 10:36 AM, Paul Winkler wrote:

>> - HelpSys - from a programmers view pretty much useless and not very
>>   helpful. I consider to replace it with something more useful
>> (not sure
>>   we can re-use apidoc from Zope 3 in some way, perhaps the inclusion
>>   of Dieter's Docfinder might be more useful for programmers)
>
> -0
>
> Whenever this topic comes up, people speak of HelpSys as if it's
> all API
> documentation for programmers. In fact the lion's share of it is
> user-oriented online structured text documentation which is IMNSHO
> very
> good to have.  And many third-party products provide such
> documentation
> of their own.  Especially when I was new to Zope, I read them
> constantly.

In Zope 2.10 , Products packaged as Python Eggs will need either to
drop support for helpsys stuff or the helpsys stuff will need to be
revamped support files living in zipfiles.  The former sounds saner
to me and indeed Basket punts on registering help files for all egg-
packaged products right now.  I agree it would be helpful to have the
info that's currently in the helpsystem for builtin Zope products be
available somewhere else, though.

- C