[Zope-dev] [RfC] Removal of old stuff in Zope 2.10

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Tue Dec 20 15:18:18 EST 2005

On 20 Dec 2005, at 19:47, Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On 20. Dezember 2005 14:27:18 -0500 Paul Winkler
> <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:
>>
>> just to be clear, the stuff I'm talking about is ZMI user interface
>> docs, not programmer docs.
>
> I'll raise the question again: what are the benefits of the HelpSys
> for a Zope user?

I would say the only benefit was the unification of docs for Zope and
installed third party products in one place, and its "context-
sensitivity" for documenting screens in the ZMI when you're on them
by clicking the link. I've always tried to be good about it, and most
of my software has relatively up-to-date HelpSys documentation.

On the other hand I believe most product authors don't use HelpSys
documentation, and the Zope-provided pieces are way less current and
informative than the Zope book (2.7 version).

IMHO it would be nice if the HelpSys could be changed so that it
still provides those Help! links, but the product author can simply
assign a URL to them to point to a place where they copied and pasted
their docs into a website. That's not too much of an imposition on
product authors I think.

jens