[Zope-dev] Re: [RfC] Removal of old stuff in Zope 2.10

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Wed Dec 21 11:10:19 EST 2005

Andreas Jung wrote:
> Hi,

> - Gadfly(DA) - do we really need this? We discussed this already. In my
>   opinion the purpose of Gadfly is only educational but nothing that one
>   really needs or uses for production. It could be removed and made
>   available for download on zope.org.

-1

 From time to time I teach classes on Zope. Often to people with an sql
legacy. Most companies don't have a computer lab with similar machines,
so often the educational software must be installed on the participants
own machine. Which can be of any platform.

Using Gadfly as an educational tool is *very* practical. Eg. they can
install Zope, and begin using sql at once.

Having to install postgres etc. just to teach about database connections
etc. would be really impractical.

If there is another practical way to do it, that would be fine too. I
don't know about sqllite. But if it's more difficulte than dropping a
package into a directory it would be bad.

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/
IT's Mad Science