[Zope-dev] zope-2.9 r40780 make install doesn't finish, files missing from bin

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Dec 21 14:01:39 EST 2005

Andrew Sawyers wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 13:47 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>

>>I'll note, FWIW, that we don't do installs from Zope 3 checkouts.
>>I think it's worth asking whether this is an important requirement.
>>If it is, then we should make it work.  Question is, is it worth
>>delaying the release?  I don't know.
>
> I think it's an important requirement; many of us have done this dance
> for years.  The reason I'd suspect this got done by Chris M was to ease
> our pains we'd had to work around over time and make it easier for
> people coming into the Zope Community - or their support staff (i.e.
> Admins)

But those people use releases, not checkouts AFAIK.

>>If we did stay with the current situation, we'd need to cleanup the
>>documentation so that a developer can easily reminder herself
>>what she can do and how to do it.
>
> If it's indeed *easy* and clear, that should be ok.  It just needs to
> work sensibly  :)  So many of us are used to the ./configure; make; make
> install dance.

I'll note that, as a developer, I have never done this and probably
never would want to do this.

The only use case for this is a deployer of Zope that wants to install an
unreleased revision of Zope.  If this use case is driving this, a better
solution might be to build automatic snapshot releases.

Jim