[Zope-dev] zope-2.9 r40780 make install doesn't finish, files missing from bin

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Thu Dec 22 06:19:56 EST 2005

--On 22. Dezember 2005 12:06:09 +0100 Martijn Faassen <faassen at infrae.com>
wrote:

> Andreas Jung wrote:
>> Who has the knowledge and time to fix this?
>
> I think we need to have some philosophical agreement on what is going to
> be done before we figure out who has time to "fix" this. I think the
> issue is a bit deeper than just a bug people want fix, even though it
> presents itself that way.

Of course the issue is deeper but I have no idea how deep :-)

> The requirements that zpkg tries to fulfill, primarily multiple
> distributions from the same repository, have given us this situation.
> Perhaps we should revisit zpkg and add the requirement that the state of
> the repository should be as similar as possible to that of at least *one*
> of those distributions, and see what happens to its design.
>
> Fixing this should be part of the Zope 2.10 cycle, hopefully.

Jup, I don't consider it is blocker for 2.9.0 although it might/will cause
some trouble.

> I can interpret your question another way, as a count against zpkg: zpkg
> is so peculiar to Zope that even most Zope core developers don't know how
> to fix this. That sucks and in my book is a very serious negative point
> against zpkg. The simplicity of "repository *is* distribution" has a very
> important benefit in its favor there, as that's trivial to understand.

I am not against zpkg but I have really no idea how it works, what is does
for me and how it causes the particular trouble in this case..at the moment
zpkg is just a magic black box with some esoteric functionality....to make
it short: I need to learn what zpkg is and how it works.  Until then ppl
with some zpkg skills need to care about the problem.

Andreas