[Zope-dev] [RfC] Removal of old stuff in Zope 2.10

Stefane Fermigier sf at nuxeo.com
Thu Dec 22 09:11:41 EST 2005

Andreas Jung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for next release we plan to replace several parts with the corresponding
> components from Zope 3 (e.g. ZPT´). Philipp is working on a proposal on
> that issue. In addition I would like to get rid of some old stuff that
> is no longer maintained and buggy:
>

> - ZopeTutorial (could be ripped off without implications and made available
>   for download on zope.org)

+1

Or write a new tutorial.

> - HelpSys - from a programmers view pretty much useless and not very
>   helpful. I consider to replace it with something more useful (not sure
>   we can re-use apidoc from Zope 3 in some way, perhaps the inclusion
>   of Dieter's Docfinder might be more useful for programmers)

+1

Never used it.

> - Gadfly(DA) - do we really need this? We discussed this already. In my
>   opinion the purpose of Gadfly is only educational but nothing that one
>   really needs or uses for production. It could be removed and made
>   available for download on zope.org.

-1

Gadfly is nice to experiment with SQL programming, you can even run
small SQL apps (guestbook, small forum, etc.) with it. And it's easy to
replace is with a more serious replacement afterwards.

I've used it whenever I needed SQL support in Zope, either in
development mode or in "hack something quickly" mode.

> And my favourite enemy in Zope: ZClasses :-) I would like to mark them
> _clearly_ as an obsolete feature (DeprecationWarning, Warnings in the
> ZMI and the Zope Book). I _don't_ propose to remove them at some point
> but ppl should be aware that they are using one of the most-scary
> components in Zope (please no further discussion about the pros and cons
> of ZClasses..this discussion took already place already a bunch of times
> on the list).

+1

  S.

--
Stéfane Fermigier, Tel: +33 (0)6 63 04 12 77 (mobile).
Nuxeo Collaborative Portal Server: http://www.nuxeo.com/cps