[Zope-dev] Re: Product installation (implicit vs. explicit)

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Thu Dec 22 10:46:42 EST 2005

On Dec 22, 2005, at 10:17 AM, Rocky Burt wrote:

> Chris McDonough wrote:
>> The question is this: do you think there should be an explicit
>> "install" step for egg packages/Products or do you think it should be
>> possible to just put eggs on your PYTHONPATH (and perhaps adjust a
>> config file with "requirements")?
>
> To be honest, the explicit'ness of an external egg install process
> irks
> me but I cannot really give a reason why (perhaps its just because I'm
> used to having Zope2 products "just work").

What do Java people expect from jar files (I ask as a Java dope)?  Do
they have a more limited scope (no dependencies, for example?)

> Also, with having to "install" eggs, how would this work with eggs
> that
> are actually directories (that are formed like egg zip files) and
> dealing with eggs from a development standpoint.  Does this mean they
> would get copied some place?  Or just that something would be
> registered
> into the zodb registering those eggs, etc...

I doubt anything would go into the ZODB; other than that I'm not
sure.  Whatever got created would almost certainly be based on
Phillip's "easy_install" program which is documented at http://
peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall .

- C