[Zope-dev] What use cases are driving "make install" from a checkout?

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Dec 22 16:45:48 EST 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:

> I'd like to step back and see if we can agree on what is driving the desire
> for "make install".  I'll note that one reason is that it worked this way
> before, but I don't think that that is a good enough reason to delay the
> release.
>
> I'll note one use case:
>
> - A Zope deployer wants to deploy an unreleased version of Zope
>   because they need some feature or bug fix that hasn't been
>   released yet.
>
> Can anyone think of other use cases?

* A Zope developer wants to test multiple Zope setups with the same
checkout.

The most important bit to me is not actually a use case per se. It's
"don't surprise". Having the checkout be different from a release
tarball will make it harder for people used to working with the release
tarball to switch to working with the checkout (and vice versa, but
that's less common). This makes it harder for people to dive into core
development on occasion. We want to make it easy for people, not harder.
It's not a big barrier, but it is a barrier.

I mostly work with release tarballs while developing, but sometimes I
need to work with a checkout. In that case I want to suddenly have to
switch to a different way of doing things.

A bit that's related to this, and also not exactly a use case, is "don't
be special". Being different in the way checkouts versus releases work
is not Zope's core business of being a web application platform.

It's another doubletake for people who just want to try things out, and
may stop some people from getting there; we should lower the amount of
persistence needed to get into Zope by random python developers as much
as possible. :)

This possibly ties into a larger discussion on the way we layout our
zope source repository -- people who are just interested in
zope.interface and want to help develop it, say, have a barrier right
now that could be avoided. Of course the ability to hand out release
tarballs with zope.interface is even more important and we do have that,
so that's great. We should probably be holding this discussion later,
not right now, though.

Regards,

Martijn